Samdrup Jongkhar Initiative works to develop and make available low-cost, ecologically friendly, labour saving technologies that respond to local needs and create income opportunities for farmers.
Centre for Appropriate Technology
SJI initiated a Centre for Appropriate Technology at Jigme Namgyel Engineering College (JNEC) in Dewathang and has undertaken four major projects with the new Centre, which is now recognized as one of the Royal University of Bhutan’s key research centre:
- Design and development of a made-in-Samdrup Jongkhar solar drier that was tested and approved by the Department of Agriculture’s Post-Harvest Centre.
- Design and development of rainwater harvesting systems
- Testing of a roto-weeder for organic System of Rice Intensification
- Design of waste segregation stations for local institutions
Click here for more details on the Centre for Appropriate Technology
- Installed 28 solar driers in remote Lauri and Serthi Gewogs mostly from local materials;
- Trained six women villagers and one JNP faculty in solar technologies at Barefoot College in Rajasthan and at the Barli Development Institute for Rural Women in Madhya Pradesh. Under SJI guidance, these women have then trained local villagers in the operation, maintenance, and repair of the solar driers
- Prepared solar drier case studies, interviewed farmers, and concluded that the solar driers have reduced market dependence, enhanced food self-sufficiency, and improved farmer livelihoods.
- Supervised on-the-job training in solar drier work for students at Jigme Namgyel Engineering College.
- Next steps are assisting farmers to market their solar dried produce and installing 100 more solar driers in Lauri, Serthi, and Dewathang Gewogs.
Click here for more details on the SJI solar drier project
- Installed rainwater harvesting systems at Dewathang Primary School and Chokyi Gyatso Institute, Dewathang. Click here for more details
- Installed waste segregation stations at Chokyi Gyatso Institute.
- Tested and made available roto-weeders for organic System of Rice Intensification
- Developed a bottle cutter machine for use in SJI zero waste crafts work.
- Design of a micro-irrigation system for Samdrup Jongkhar farmers is now in the planning stages for development in 2016.